Places to Eat in the East Neuk of Fife
There are some wonderful restaurants in the East Neuk of Fife area where you can enjoy the very best of local fresh produce and cuisine. Below is a selection. (Please note that ‘Avg. price’ (average price) is the average cost per person for two courses, coffee, half a bottle of house wine and tip/service).
If you wish to book a taxi ride to your restaurant, you can call: -
- Williamsons Taxis, Leuchards. People carriers available. T: +44 (0)1334 476787/839279 or 0800 858181 (free).
- Bill's Taxis, Wormit. T: +44 (0)1382 541329. Mobile: +44 (0)7966 424391.
- A.T.R. Taxis, Tayport. People carriers/wheelchair access available. T: +44 (0)1382 553207.
- The Balaka, Bangladeshi & Indian Restaurant, 3 Alexandra Place, St Andrews, KY16 9SD. T: +44 (0)1334 474 825. Located in the heart of town, this award-winning restaurant is an institution. Always busy with students, golfers, visitors and just about anyone who loves Indian food. Open 7 days. Avg. price: £30.
- Grill House Restaurant, Inchcape House, St Mary’s Place, St Andrews, KY16 9UY. T: +44 (0)1334 470 500. Relaxed, informal, fun and friendly. Located in the heart of St Andrews. Well-liked with locals, tourists, students, families, young and old. Unashamedly populist menu of Mexican dishes, chargrilled meats and fish, pizza, pasta and vegetarian dishes. Very reasonable fixed lunch and dinner menu also available. Open 7 days. Avg. price: £24.
- Seafood Restaurant, Bruce Embankment, Below The Scores, St Andrews, KY16 9AB. T: +44 (0)1334 479 475. Numerous accolades. Spectacular views. For starters think of a salad of lobster and mango with chilli sauce and parsley pesto, or a terrine of foie gras and smoked ham shank. Follow with a timbale of kiln roasted and smoked salmon with Avruga and a shallot and chive crème fraiche. Open 7 days. Avg. price: £61.
- The Anstruther Fish Bar, 42-44 Shore St, Anstruther, KY10 3AQ. T: +44 (0)1333 310 518. Make sure you visit it. Award-winning, family run and always very busy. It has been described as “probably the best fish & chip shop in the world”. The owners supply the restaurant with the very best quality seafood direct from their own fish-processing business. Wide menu to suit everyone although haddock leads the way, followed by squid, lemon sole, skate and other seafood. Open 7 days. Avg. price: £21.
- The Cellar Restaurant, 24 East Green, Anstruther, KY10 3AA. T: +44 (0)1333 310 378. One of the most popular restaurants in Scotland. Three rosettes in the AA Guide. Master Chef Peter Jukes has impeccable sourcing of the most wonderfully fresh, natural local ingredients. Open Mon – Sat. Avg. price: £52.
- The Waterfront, 18/20 Shore St, Anstruther. T: +44 (0)1333 312 200. Comfortable and spacious. Wide menu including seafood, steaks, vegetarian and children’s menu. Open 7 days. Avg. price: £25.
- Peat Inn, Peat Inn, by Cupar, KY15 5LH. T: +44 (0)1334 840 206. One of the strongholds of Scottish cuisine. 3 AA rosettes. A real must if you are looking for a very special dining experience during your stay. Located in an unpretentious and warm house. Dishes draw heavily on the best of what is locally available in terms of game, fish, vegetables and even truffles. The cooking is classically based upon French cuisine, with the emphasis always on flavour. Open Tue-Sat. Avg. price: £50.
- Sangster’s, 51 High Street, Elie, KY9 1BZ. T: +44 (0)1333 331 001. Flavours are lightly enhanced, rather than drenched in unnecessary distractions. As a result such delights as halibut, venison and the incomparable Scotch beef are at their best. Great wine list. Open Mon-Sun. Avg. price: £45.